Powered by WebAds

Monday, May 09, 2011

Yom HaZikaron (Memorial Day)

Today is Yom HaZikaron, Memorial Day, the day on which we remember those who fell in defense of the State of Israel and those who fell in terror attacks. I've been in the US on Memorial Day and I've been in London on Armistice Day, and there is nothing anyplace in the World like it is here. No barbecues, no hot dogs, not even a full day off from work except for those who - God forbid - have lost an immediate relative (which unfortunately is all too many of us).

Even for those who have not lost immediate family members, Memorial Day is difficult to handle. For a description of why, I urge you to read this (Hat Tip: Mrs. Carl).

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of our soldier sons is assigned today to attend to a family and their fallen's grave. A very nice gesture.

However, I feel that from both a halachic and a psychological point of view, the melancholy at many ceremonies is excessive. I say this neither as a rabbi nor a psychologist. These are just my observations and conclusions from living here the better part of 3 decades.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google