Argentina looking to drop AMIA charges in exchange for better trade relations with IranThis is not the first time that there has been talk in Argentina of dropping the AMIA bombing charges in return for improved trade relations with Iran. But the more it comes up, the more likely it is to happen. Earlier this week, Iran offered to 'cooperate' in the investigation of the AMIA bombing in Argentina in 1994. The problem is that the investigation has been over for five years and we already know that the Iranians planned it and Hezbullah did it. As investigator Alberto Nisman (pictured) said, all that's left now is for Iran to turn over the perpetrators, including Defense Minister Ahmed Vahidi. Fat chance that will happen.
Israel is said to be quite disturbed that Argentina is apparently open to this 'offer.'
Argentine Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman’s positive reaction to an Iranian statement saying it was willing to cooperate with Buenos Aires in its search for the terrorists responsible for the AMIA building attack 17 years ago raised eyebrows Monday in Jerusalem.I don't know why our Foreign Ministry is so surprised. Perhaps they haven't been watching the company kept by Argentine President Cristina Fernandez Kirchner.
“The investigation is over,” one official said, adding that what was needed now was for the Iranians to hand over those responsible for the attack that killed 85 people, and wounded 300, on July 18, 1994.
The official said the statement by the Argentine Foreign Ministry raised questions again about the validity of a report in Argentine tabloid Perfil in March about whether Timerman offered to drop the probe into the attack in exchange for better economic relations with Iran.
Timerman angrily said at a press conference in Jerusalem in April that he did not have to answer questions not based in reality.
Iran’s Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi is one of five people wanted by Interpol for the attack.
According to a report Sunday in the Buenos Aires Herald, Timerman said regarding the Iranian statement that “if what was published in international press is confirmed, it would be an unprecedented and very positive step forward.” He was quoted as saying that he was awaiting an official confirmation from his Iranian counterpart, Ali Akbar Salehi.
But Nisman dismissed the Iranian statement, saying at a press conference that if the Iranians wanted to cooperate, what they needed to do was to turn over to the Argentine authorities those accused of the attack.