Powered by WebAds

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Shmuck: Putin stole Bob Kraft's Super Bowl ring

Russian President Vladimir Putin stole Patriots' owner Bob Kraft's 2005 Super Bowl ring. At the time, then-President George W. Bush, fearful of an international incident, asked Kraft to say that he had given Putin the $25,000 ring as a gift (Hat Tip: Memeorandum).
Kraft explained the incident happened while Sandy Weill and other business execs were in St. Petersburg. “I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, ‘I can kill someone with this ring,’ ” Kraft told the crowd at Carnegie Hall’s Medal of Excellence gala at the Waldorf-Astoria.“I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.” 
Kraft released a statement at the time, “President Putin, a great and knowledgable sports fan, was clearly taken with its uniqueness. I decided to give him the ring as a symbol of the respect and admiration that I have for the Russian people and [his] leadership.
But Kraft really wanted the 4.94-carat bauble back, he said Thursday, admitting he’d gotten a call from the George W. Bush-run White House, saying, “‘It would really be in the best interest of US-Soviet relations if you meant to give the ring as a present.” (In fact the Soviet Union had collapsed 14 years earlier.)
But, Kraft said, “I really didn’t [want to]. I had an emotional tie to the ring, it has my name on it. I don’t want to see it on eBay. There was a pause on the other end of the line, and the voice repeated, ‘It would really be in the best interest if you meant to give the ring as a present.’ ” The ring is now reportedly kept in the Kremlin library.
I sure hope that someone at least made Kraft a duplicate ring. And it should also be clear that Obama - much as I detest him - was not the first US President to suck up to dictators (nor was Bush by the way).

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Shy Guy said...

Looking at the comic you posted for this article, I fail to comprehend the connection between Putin and Borat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google